Full Time Position
Monday thru Friday from 8:30 am to 5:00 pm
Pay Rate: (Depending on Experience)
? To assist persons with disabilities secure permanent housing, as well as emergency shelter as needed.
? To assist persons with disabilities access the available public benefits (i.e. Social Security disability Insurance, SSI, Medi-Cal, General Assistance, etc.), including assistance with the application process, reconsiderations, and administrative hearings.
? To assist persons with disabilities with Independent Living Skills training, peer support and access to support groups and other resources. ? To conduct outreach and educational activities to ensure those persons with disabilities and others are informed of DSLC’s services and ensure comprehensive referral options.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITY
• Knowledge of and sensitivity toward persons with disabilities.
• Computer skills required
• Ability to communicate with angry, upset or demanding consumers.
• Self-motivated with good verbal, written, and organizational skills.
• Mobility: ability to sit for long periods, move about an office, stand occasionally, and reach above and below desk level.
• Dexterity: fine manipulation sufficient to operate a computer keyboard, handle individual papers, write and take notes.
• Minimal lifting.
• Visual Requirements: close vision sufficient to read files, documents, and computer screens and do close-up work; ability to adjust focus frequently.
• Hearing/Talking: ability to communicate with people with disabilities.
• Must be able to travel and have a current California Driver’s License and Automobile Insurance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE A.A. or A.S. degree in political science, human services, communication or related field and significant experience with disability issues. OR: Two years working in field of work which promotes independence for a person with a variety of disabilities and significant experience with disability issues. Up to two years’ experience may be substituted for education on a year-to-year basis.
• Disabled or Experience working with people with disabilities is strongly desirable.
• Bi-lingual in Spanish or American Sign Language.
• BA in human services or equivalent experience. • Grant writing experience.
BENEFITS Disability Services & Legal Center offers generous benefits that includes: Medical, Dental and Holidays. Disability Services & Legal Center/DSLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, DSLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. DSLC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of DSLC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Please respond with resume or questions to: Veronica Castro email@example.com