Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens is looking for an experienced Café Manager to oversee the day-to-day operations of Rhody's Garden Café which include selling food, hiring staff, scheduling staff, menu planning, and maintaining inventory. The Café is open seasonally with high-quality ingredients from local providers and the freshest seasonal produce from the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens' own organic demonstration Vegetable Garden.
The position is full-time seasonal, usually March /April -September /October. The Café is well established and currently has developed a successful menu, which could be modified by a creative Manager.
Manager, Rhody’s Garden Café
REPORTS TO: Executive Director
POSITION: Full-time seasonal; non-exempt; benefited; salary range $23 - $27/hr
The Manager for Rhody’s Garden Café has overall responsibility for the operation of the Café including food, service, and financial performance.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
The Manager has complete responsibility for the operation of Rhody’s Cafe including food preparation and service, staff supervision, menu generation, ordering, inventory management and meeting budget. The Manager contributes to marketing and promotion development ideas and implementation. The Manager supervises staff including recruiting, interviewing, training, and motivating. The Manager works with the entire MCBG staff as a team. Hiring and firing is with the participation and approval of the Executive Director.
- Order, prepare and/or assure preparation of food for the cafe for all shifts as required
- Make, maintain, and change the menu
- Document and maintain written copies of all recipes used in the cafe
- Manage food inventory including ordering, approving deliveries, rotating inventory, minimizing waste and meeting budget
- Supervise staff creating work schedules, performing training, assuring excellent service
- Manage costs to meet sales and budget goals
- Actively participate in marketing and promotional ideas and projects
- Reports to the Executive Director
- Supervises the kitchen staff, including volunteers, and approximately 6 part-time seasonal workers
- Hires and fires with the participation and approval of the Executive Director
- Collaborates and coordinates with the other managers and staff
- Attends and contributes to manager meetings
- Minimum 2 years professional kitchen experience
- Must have excellent customer service and communication skills
- Knowledge of all food preparation protocols and have, or be willing to obtain Food Service Certification
- Able to lift and carry up to 40 lbs.
TO APPLY: Please submit a cover letter along with a resume to MCBG Executive Director, Molly Barker at firstname.lastname@example.org.
ABOUT THE MENDOCINO COAST BOTANICAL GARDENS:
The Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens (MCBG) is a nonprofit botanical garden with a unique mixture of manicured gardens and wild habitat located along the Pacific Ocean. Our mission is to engage and enrich lives by displaying and conserving plants in harmony with our Northern California coastal ecosystems and to preserve public access to the coast.
Each year, more than 100,000 people experience the wonder of nature in all its seasons at the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens. This botanical escape is a place for guests to be inspired and experience the simple joy of a natural setting. The Gardens' work environment is built on teamwork and making certain our guests have an inspiring experience.
Rhody’s Garden Café is open seasonally providing Gardens guests and our local community with fresh and delicious lunch options. The Café uses high-quality ingredients from local providers and seasonal produce from the Mendocino Coast Botanical Gardens' own organic demonstration Vegetable Garden. The menu includes house-made soups, fresh organic salads, daily specials, desserts, drinks, and Cowlick's Ice Cream.